Information about getting a full licence

Restricted Licence (A2) courses are suitable for people with all levels of experience. To qualify you must have and be the following:

  • 19 years old (unless you have taken an A1 Light Motorcycle Licence and waited 2 years)
  • Have a provisional or full UK car licence
  • Have a valid Motorcycle Theory Test pass certificate & CBT certificate (unless you have waited 2 years from taking an A1 Light Motorcycle Licence) - we can provide these as part of the course
  • If you have taken an A1 Light Motorcycle Licence and have waited a full 2 years
  • Take your tests on a motorcycle that is at least 400cc, with between 20 - 35kw and more than 180kg - we can provide this

A Restricted Licence means that you will be able to ride any motorcycle that you want when you have passed your tests, provided it does not exceed 35kw or be derived from a motorcycle that originally had more than 70kw. You will be able to take a passenger and you will be able to ride on a motorway. After 2 years you will be able to upgrade to a full DAS licence (or earlier if you are 24 or older).

We offer four Restricted A2 courses, with the principal criteria being that the more previous experience you have the shorter the course. All the courses include motorcycle hire if you need it, clothing and equipment, tuition and Module 1 & 2 motorcycle tests. They also all come with or without Motorcycle Theory Test and CBT depending on whether you have done these already:

Definition of experience

NOVICE - total novice who has never been on a motorcycle, or only for a few minutes, or just a Free Introductory Lesson.

BEGINNER - someone who has ridden on holiday, or only automatics, or has only done the CBT and nothing else; we would expect this person to be able to pull away, stop, start and change gear as a minimum.

INTERMEDIATE – someone who has either done their CBT on a geared motorcycle and ridden regularly for six months or more, or has ridden off-road on smaller scramblers for a long time.

VERY EXPERIENCED - someone who has ridden larger motorcycles (above 250cc) before, either moto-cross or on a foreign licence. In other words, quite comfortable getting onto a larger motorcycle.

If you are not sure which course would suit you best, please use our Step-by-Step Guide.

If you are still unsure which course will suit you best take advantage of the Free Introductory Lesson where your trainer can assess your skills and advise you of the most suitable course for your needs.

Guaranteed Pass Scheme

No one can offer a "guaranteed pass", but many training schools offer discounted re-training prices, However, the fees for the Module 1 & 2 are set by the DVSA and it is worth bearing in mind that trainers do not get a discount. A couple of other points to bear in mind is how far your trainer is from the test centre (as this may effect costs) and what is their policy towards "duty of care" - i.e. does the insurance company expect further training in the event someone doesn't pass their test? So although it is frustrating to fail for minor issues like putting a foot down on the U-turn or leaving an indicator on, your trainer will still have to provide a motorcycle for the next test, along with their time, and may have to do some re-training. Nevertheless pass rates for motorcycle tests are high.