Frequently Asked Questions

1/. What happens if I lose my CBT certificate?

Your Training School (or the DVSA) can provide you with a duplicate CBT certificate at a cost of £20.00. This can be posted if needs be.

2/. What happens if I lose my Theory Test certificate or Module 1 Test Pass certificate?

If you took yourTheory Test more than a week before your Motorcycle Test is due to take place this should not be a problem.  The DVSA will be able to provide you with a duplicate Pass Certificate, please call their Customer Services number on 0300 300 1122. Alternatively, you can get most of the details online here: .

If you lose your Module 1 Test Pass certificate then as long as you let the DVSA's contact centre know as soon as possible before the Module 2 test, this will let them carry out the necessary checks and update the Module 2 examiner in good time.

Please bear in mind that both the Theory Test certificate and the Module 1 Test Pass Certificate are valid for two years. 

3/. What happens if I lose/misplace my licence when I want to attend the CBT, Theory or Motorcycle Test?

You must produce the photo-card part of your licence for the Motorcycle Theory Test and the Module 1 & 2 Motorcycle Tests (or an old paper licence together with a valid passport). If do not have these documents for any of these events you will be turned away, and fees forfeit. If you lose your licence you must let the Training School know straight away, as well as contacting the DVLA to arrange a duplicate.

For the CBT some Training Schools can do an online check if you have your National Insurance number and photo ID (such as a valid passport).

If you have lost/misplaced your licence ahead of a Theory Test or Module 1 & 2 Motorcycle Test then provided you give 3 working days notice then it may be possible to postpone the test to a later date. However, if the DVSA have less than 3 days notice (even if it is because your licence has been stolen) then you will lose the test fee, and you will need to re-arrange a new test date..

4/. What happens if the weather is bad?

Please call the Training School as early as possible on the day to check the course is going ahead. As a rule, if it is safe, they would like you to arrive as some courses have a reasonable amount of theory that can be covered while they review the situation. Please follow the Bad Weather link for more information.

5/. What happens if I fail my Theory Test or Module 1 or 2 Motorcycle Test?

Please call your Training School straight away to arrange another Theory Test. If they can’t get you a Theory Test before your Module 1 Test, they can postpone the Module 1 & 2 Tests providing they are given 3 clear working days' notice (including Saturdays but not Bank Holidays or Sundays). If you don’t inform them, you may lose your Module 1 & 2 Test fees. Failing your Theory Test does not prevent you from taking any training you may have booked.

If you fail the Module 1 Test, then it depends what you failed on, and different Training Schools have different policies. It may be worth checking this before you book. In any event you will not be able to take the Module 2 test and will need 3 working days notice to cancel the Module 2. You have to wait 3 working days before you can re-take the Module 1 Test.

If you failed the Module 2 Test, then again it depends on how things went, but this time you have to wait 10 working days before you can re-take the Module 2 Test. Check with your Training School about their policy for re-training.

6/. What happens if I don’t complete the CBT in one day?

You cannot fail a CBT; however, you may take longer than one day to complete it. Many Training Schools have a subsidized rate for further days of training. Alternatively you might be better suited to Personal Tuition. Please ask your instructor which option would best suit your needs.

7/. What happens if I am late?

Courses have to start on time (see your booking email). If you arrive late for your CBT then you will be turned away because sucessful completion of all the elements is compulsory and you are not allowed to miss anything.  It is also unfair on the rest of the group to wait for you.  If you are late for other courses, your instructor will try their best to accommodate you, although there is no guarantee that they will be able to do so (for example they may have another student who needs to be at the test centre for a certain time). The DVSA will turn anyone away who arrives late for a Theory Test or Motorcycle Test (Module 1 and 2) and fees will be forfeit. Please call the Training School as early as possible if you think you will not be on time so they can advise you on what to do.

Instructors will leave to go to the test centre giving adequate time for normal conditions. If they, or you, are delayed by an accident or traffic congestion, and as a result are late, you will unfortunately lose your test fee. There are no exceptions. 

8/. What happens if I want a refund?

Refunds are dependant on each Training School's policy - you can check this in their terms and conditions before booking online.

9/. What happens if the moped/motorcycle I hire from the Training School breaks down?

Training Schools are interested in making sure that their customers and students are happy - most will go to considerable lengths to resolve this situation, however it is worth consulting the terms and conditions.

10/. What happens if the moped/motorcycle I provide is not road legal?

You will need to hire a machine from the Training School for the day, if they have one available.

11/. Do I have to do my Theory Test near my Training School?

No, you can book you a Theory Test anywhere in the UK (excluding Northern Ireland) please ask when you are booking if you would like a Theory Test elsewhere.

12/. My Motorcycle Test is being done somewhere away from the Training School; is this bad?

Not at all, the examiner will expect no local knowledge whatsoever, a junction in Basildon will have the same rules as a junction in Greenham or Erith. Remember that when you get your licence you are allowed to ride anywhere in the UK and even the rest of the world (subject to local licensing regulations)!  Although there are fewer test centres than there used to be, many Training Schools use more than one test centre.

13/. What happens if I don’t agree with the DVSA examiner’s decision?

You are not able to contest the examiner’s decision. You can, however, make a complaint if you believe that the test was conducted unfairly – for example if the radio was hard to hear. All complaints have to be made in writing, and we will support any valid claim - further information can be found on the DVSA website ( If your complaint is upheld then you will still need to re-take the test but you would not be charged for this (but you may have to pay motorcycle hire). The DVSA will not overturn a decision regarding a complaint once it has been made. 

14/. What happens if the DVSA cancel or move my Motorcycle Test?

If the DVSA move your test with more than three working days' notice, then you must take it on the chin. However, if they cancel inside this period (if the examiner is sick for example) it is possible to claim compensation. Typically the Training School will charge you for the training and motorcycle hire that you have for your rescheduled date, but you in turn will be able to claim this back along with loss of earnings, travel costs and child care. The Training School will help you with all the paperwork. They will also be able to sort out a new test date for you (hopefully for as near to your original date as possible).

15/. What happens if I need to leave early?

Please let the instructor know at the start of the day, and they will try their best to make suitable arrangements. But bear in mind that for CBT's it is a legal requirement to complete at least 2 hours of road tuition.

16/. What is the eye sight test?

To take part in any training or test you need to be able to read a standard UK car number plate at 20 metres or more. If you need to wear glasses or contact lenses for this, you will also have to wear them for the duration of the course. This includes if your licence states you need to wear glasses - code 01.

17/. What should I wear?

Many Training Schools can provide you with a safety helmet, gloves and waterproof over trousers, and and some do have a limited number of motorcycle jackets. Please arrive with some stout footwear, i.e. walking boots, and a thick pair of jeans as a minimum. If you can purchase suitable motorcycle apparel, we implore you do to so. In addition, if the weather is cold please bring LOTS of warm clothes.  If you turn up wearing inappropriate clothing - jogging pants, tracksuit, flimsy trainers, for example - then your training cannot take place, and the instructor may ask you to go home.  In this situation you can reasonably expect to re-pay for your training (and tests).

Please note that as a minimum you must have sturdy boots, heavy denim trousers (with no rips) or textile/leather motorcycle trousers, a textile/leather motorcycle jacket or a heavy denim jacket with several layers underneath, and motorcycle gloves to take your Module 1 and Module 2 motorcycle test. The DVSA will turn you away if you don't. Please see our Important Information page for more details.

18/. When can I start riding a bigger motorcycle once I have passed my test?

You may start riding straight away; it is recommended that you carry your pass certificate with you until you receive your new licence, as the DVLA computer will not have a record of your entitlement for a few weeks.

19/. What do I need to tell the Training School before I start my course?

You need to tell them of any medical conditions or religious needs that they should be aware of, so they can make necessary arrangements or reasonable adjustments. Please also tell them if you are on any kind of medication which may affect you when driving or riding. The same applies to any disabilities.

They will need to have a contact telephone number, email address and a postal address.

If you are taking a CBT that is all they need to know. However, if you are taking a full licence course they will also need to know your Driving Licence number and, when you have completed it, your Theory Test pass certificate number.

20/. What do I need to tell the Training School to book a course?

The Training School's helpful knowledgeable staff can you guide through every step of the way. However, it would be helpful if you could have your contact details and driving licence number to hand. They will also need to know the dates you'd like to book so having your diary or shift pattern handy is useful. If you intend to book a course, then they will need to take a payment or deposit, so debit or credit card details will be required.

21/. I want to do my training spread out over a series of weeks, will this be a problem?

From the point of view of learning this is not a problem, but each Training School will have its local restrictions. Typically the further ahead you book the more flexible they can be.

22/. Do I need to do Module 1 and Module 2 in any specific order?

The rule is that you must successfully complete Module 1 before you can take Module 2. If you decide to take both tests within 3 working days of each other and fail Module 1, you will lose the £75.00 test fee as we will not have enough time to cancel Module 2. Because of this we strongly recommend that you err on the side of the caution and book them at least 3 working days apart .

23/. What training will I get for Module 1 of the test?

Some Training Schools will have their own rent areas that are suitable, and others will hire the facility from the DVSA.  They will set up the cones to emulate the actual test layout, and use speed measuring equipment to help you acheive the required minimum speeds for the emergency stop and avoidance. When it comes to the test you will know exactly what to expect, and how to do it, as a result average pass rates are about 70%.

24/. What happens during the Module 2 Test?

After meeting the examiner will want to see your driving licence, CBT certificate, theory test and Mod 1 Test Pass certificate. The examiner will ask you to sign a couple of forms, equip you with a radio, and then check your eyesight.  You will then be asked some "show me/tell me" questions. The riding part of the test typically covers about 12 miles and lasts around 35 minutes. This will involve some town riding, country lanes, and dual carriageways, and include dealing with other road users, junctions, roundabouts, and pulling away safely from the kerb (angled starts). It will also include an Independent Ride, where you will be asked to follow signs to a specific location. You are not, however, being assessed on your ability to follow directions. If at any point during the test you don't understand what the examiner is asking you to do, or you don't hear it properly, or you don't think it is safe (for example if there is an obstruction) then don't do it - do something else instead - but do it safely!

25/. I'm not well, or have been injured or I've suffered bereavement - what happens to my course?

You will, unfortunately, lose any test fees where less than 3 working days notice is given to the DVSA. As far as your course is concerned Training Schools try to be understanding in these matters and typically will have a policy relating to this. This does not apply to test fees which are governed by the DVSA's policies.

*Update* - the DVSA have sensibly relented on the bereavement and on occasion will accept a sick note.

26/. Just remind me one more time what do I need to bring when I attend a course?

All you need to bring is your photocard full or provisional UK Driving Licence (or old paper licence), glasses or contact lenses if you wear them and some suitable clothes (heavy denim jeans (with no rips), heavy denim jacket with several layers underneath, and sturdy footwear with ankle support). If you are coming for a course after you have done your CBT please also bring your CBT certificate, Theory Test pass certificate and, when you have taken it, your Module 1 pass certificate.

27/. On the back of my photocard licence it says A with 79(tri) or 79(3) - do I have a motorcycle licence already?

No. This means you can ride a trike on your car licence. It does not mean you can ride a motorcycle. Anyone would be forgiven that the DVLA were trying to encourage people to ride without a licence!

Did this answer all your questions? If not, please email us at